Sunday, October 15, 2006

Last minute as always

Well I leave for London tomorrow lunchtime, and have just finished packing (am I the only person who leaves things so late. I have also only just booked travel insurance). The rucksack was a present from ippr when I left, and has a bewildering array of straps, toggles and belts. I rather suspect it's designed to go up Everest, but with me it will only ever see the inside of airplane holds and bus terminals.

Also I packed far too many books to start off with, so have left most of them behind and will try to swap them at hostels or second-hand book shops as I go along. (For the literate amongst you, I have taken Le Carre's The Constant Gardener, Dicken's David Copperfield and Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London).

Incidentally, watched the excellent Prime Suspect while ironing/packing - I shall be much less flippant about using the word 'alcoholic' in future. Vastly better than the Cracker revival of a couple of weeks ago and very sad to see Tom Bell looking so fragile in what must only have been very shortly before his death. Now I am just emailing round some people with the address of the blog, and then my last night in Gateshead til january.

2 Comments:

At 3:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While your reading list has some style, it lacks substance. May I suggest, "a perceptive, pioneering analysis of the policy consequences flowing from devolution across the UK", Devolution in Practice 2006.

I rarely leave the house without my copy. And while, now somewhat dog-eared, it continues to provide many a moment of reading pleasure.

 
At 11:21 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Can I have a signed copy?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home