Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Cute little animals

I've had a request from one of my many followers for more information on the cute little animals I've encountered on my travels, and I'm only too happy to accommodate. I came across all of these animals in the South Island of New Zealand, and just bumped into them in the wild - no zoos were visited in the making of these pictures...

  • I came across this big fellow on one of the beaches in Southland. I had just pulled over to have a walk on the beach and have a look at a small lighthouse, and saw four/five sea lions relaxing further along the beach. This one had come up from the water and was having a bit of a kip, but I never saw the one in the background move so it could have been dead...

  • After nearly running over that penguin I parked up, but sadly didn't get that close to one again (if only I'd been quicker with the camera). In any case, these are Yellow-Eyed Penguins, quite rare but not as rare as the Fiordland Penguins I saw in Milton Sound.

  • A seal in Kaikoura.
  • I came across these baby chamois during my two-day walk on the Queen Charlotte trail. To be honest, I hadn't realised that a chamois was an animal and thought it just referred to a generic piece of leather you could use to clean your car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home